Sunday 10 July 2011

Change is equal to or greater than a rest

This week with my teacher on holiday and my family on holiday too we decided to just go to the pool and have fun, Mummy, Daddy and SpiderMan! A fantastic time was had by all and Spiderman, freed from the shackles and the pressure of intense toddler swim school, was happy to splash about and just enjoy being in the water. He even surprised us with arm bands and later on just with a noodle tied round him doing a kind of a doggy paddle thing from one side of the pool to the other. OK he wasn't swimming as such as he was more vertical than horizontal but all limbs were working in sync and he seemed perfectly OK getting his face wet and blowing bubbles. During swim lessons he sometimes get's a bit cheesed off with all the dunking and deliberate attempts to splash his face so he is a bit more defensive during lesson time. In the free water he just swam and enjoyed himself.

He even took Mummy round the deep bit and in the secret lanes under the slides monkey style, ie holding on to the side and moving sideways, err like a monkey. A crab monkey presumably.

Daddy was happy just to walk about, dunk my head a couple of times and just kind of hold on to the side and enjoy watching my little Spiderman have a ball.

To be honest, as it's first week of school holidays, the pool was hoaching with kids and even if I could swim I wouldn't anyway as there just wasn't any room for an adult to even get 2 strokes in. The pool is very small, it's really more of a kids fun pool, it's not at all like a proper pool. Funny really it's the only pool in town too. There are 4 high schools with pools of which 2 are open to the public which I guess are swimming pool size but you would think a town of this size could use a big proper swimming pool. Maybe I should build one.

So for me it's good to go to a pool without anything in mind other than enjoying my boy have fun. It's good for the soul too, my lessons have been a bit rubbish 'til late and I have been frustrated so it's good to have a week off, next week I haven't decided if I will go splash about with the girls or have another week off then get right back into it when teacher is back from holiday. I did fancy maybe doing a few breadths with the float and face in water, just to see if a change of pool would be any different and to make sure I'm keeping up to speed with the face in water breathing thing as after 2 weeks of breast stroke attempts I have probably been not pushing that too hard.

Last week was the first weekend of the year when we went to the beach, got as far as dipping my toes in the frozen north sea and was greeted by wave upon wave of tiny purple jelly fish, urgh! It would be just great to go down to the beach and dive in and go for a swim without getting frostbite and jellyfish kisses. But then Scotland has it's other charms. Pictured below is our trip to the beautiful sands of Fife, with the hills of Edinburgh across the water  in the background.

Pip Pip, Onk Onk!


No comments: