Wednesday 24 August 2011

Splash!

Hurrah, back in the pool after quite a few weeks off with injury and illness. 

Just like starting all over again, again, again.

A couple of splutters underwater at the deep end, I am well out of practice. 

So tonight did some floating, getting my face back in the water. One of the girls told me just to put my face in the water, not my whole head. Apparently that's what I was doing. You should wear the water like a mask, not a helmet! Brilliant. I consciously tried to do just that. I also learnt that eyes should be looking forward, not down when in the water. So that's 2 things I learnt tonight that I did not know before. Makes sense if you think about it. 

So I need to try and put that into practice. 

To be honest if left to my own devices I would have just practiced that for the whole hour but teacher kept up a brisk pace tonight for us, constantly trying out new things on us. It was all just to fast for me but the other 4 girls could just about keep up. We all tried, which was good. 

The things we tried was holding float with one hand and trying to do some strokes with the other hand. Then change over. I was useless with the left arm. There were other various things like that but to be honest it was going to fast for me and I can't even remember now. 

Biggest change tonight though was instead of getting a float and stepping out 1 then 2 then 3 lanes from the side and float/flapping back in I decided to kick off from the side and head across the pool, I just did it and guess what? I didn't drown. I may have stopped 3 times on the way across and stood up but that's OK. Very pleased with that. I got tired half way through though and it was quite hard work towards the end. 

So still need more time to practice before I dare take away my comfort float.

However I have learnt a couple of things about head in the water and I have turned round and headed out instead of in. That may be all but it's this weeks' step forward. O and remember to just breath normally.

More pool time is needed. Christmas is coming.

Pip pip.

1 comment:

aquamillie said...

Good to hear you are back in the pool! It's all about ti y steps and keeping the dream alive at this stage. :)

Aquamillie